Welcome to the Travel Forum. Community Board To Help Tourists in Tourism.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    30

    How are people like in France

    I love France so much and I would like to tour France soon. Its my favorite spot to travel. I have a thing for Europe and their people. I'm curious how are people like in Europe or France. Are they nice, angry, friendly, caring, happy? What are they like most of the time? I guess if you visit CA, you can say that the people there are beach bums. They're happy and friendly. If you visit New York, people there are kind of going fast and angry and assertive. How are people like in France? What are their ways of greeting each other? Do they get close up to each other or far away? What are something that they consider rude?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    46

    Re: How are people like in France

    The French, in my experience, can be quite assertive and curt - not rude by any means though, although in larger cities like Paris, it can come across as rudeness. They like their formalities and if you're not used it it, it can be a bit intimidating. For example, you'll probably be aware of the tradition of the French greeting each other by kissing on the cheeks. I'm not sure what behaviours they consider rude, but they do definitely think better of you if you try to speak the language, are polite and try your best to fit in. They don't tend to like tourists coming to their country, not making an effort and generally causing a stir. If you follow this advice, then you should be fine and easily win the respect of the locals.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231

    Re: How are people like in France

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiilover View Post
    What are something that they consider rude?
    This is a very good question! Basically in France, even if people truly aren't that polite, they sound like they would be the nicest people in the universe. Basically you greet everyone, all the time. Kisses on the cheek, handshakes blaablaablaa... sometimes the first hour of my working day is spent just greeting everyone else. Same thing goes for leaving... you always go and say goodbye to everyone else: One of the waitresses at a bar I go to quite often once got angry at me because "last night you left without saying bye".

    Needless to say, they really like to say please. And sorry. So just learn some of these expressions in French and remember to use them excessively and you'll be fine.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiilover View Post
    I love France so much and I would like to tour France soon.
    Thanks for asking this, because I wanted to know the same thing. I took a semester of French recently at my college and I was told that the French don't like Americans :/ It made me sad because I would really like to go there.

    Even if you're not very good at the language, do they appreciate you trying to use it???

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamtraveler View Post
    I took a semester of French recently at my college and I was told that the French don't like Americans :/ It made me sad because I would really like to go there.

    Even if you're not very good at the language, do they appreciate you trying to use it???
    There is no special hatred here for Americans. However if you do come here with the "USA NUMBER ONE!!=!!=" attitude that so many of your fellow Americans have... obviously no one in Europe will like you. Just be a normal person and you'll be fine.

    And yes, they appreciate it even if you suck.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    10

    Re: How are people like in France

    Yes I know all too well how it feels to encounter an angry New Yorker But as for France, I've heard that the people are actually quite nice. I went to an international university for grad school and took a couple of classes with a few students from France and they were all very pleasant. As for what they consider rude, I'm not really sure but I do find that the French are more open minded and liberal. They way that they greet each other is much more warm and personal than in the US where people are much more standoffish and value personal space.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    39

    Re: How are people like in France

    I think as long as you try to speak the language and, as crimsonhost mentioned, don't have that superior USA attitude, then you won't have much of a problem

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    55

    Re: How are people like in France

    I've wondered this myself. Are they rude, especially to Americans who don't know the language and can't blend in as easily. But I like the advice of the previous person that if you don't have a superior American attitude, are pleasant, and can speak the language as a plus then hopefully that will help.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    20

    Re: How are people like in France

    I think that just like everywhere else you need to have the right attitude when you travel. My parents taught me that when you travel you have to keep an open mind and try to learn as much as you can. Each culture is different and you can't assume that your own is more advance or superior. When I was in France my sister did the talking since she took French language classes and I took Italian. I noticed that they really are friendlier if you try to speak their language even if you don't do it very well. Their eyes light up and they give you this big smile. Its probably because they are really proud of their culture and they appreciate the fact that you are interested in learning more about it. So do try to brush up on your French before you go there it will help you immensely.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    86

    Re: How are people like in France

    The younger folks are generally more friendly than the older one - but I would say it is like a mixture of NYC and LA. You are going to get some liberalism, but there is a strong component of following the trends. I mean the school district gives parents a menu of what to feed their kids during the week. Yet they took to the streets to complain about the age of retirement going up a year. It is really kind of weird and you might want a thicker skin. Europeans are kind of (hypocritically) quick to poke Americans about their state of patriotism. That said if you try to speak French and smile frequently you should be okay.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691

    Re: How are people like in France

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiilover View Post
    I love France so much and I would like to tour France soon. Its my favorite spot to travel. I have a thing for Europe and their people. I'm curious how are people like in Europe or France. Are they nice, angry, friendly, caring, happy? What are they like most of the time? I guess if you visit CA, you can say that the people there are beach bums. They're happy and friendly. If you visit New York, people there are kind of going fast and angry and assertive. How are people like in France? What are their ways of greeting each other? Do they get close up to each other or far away? What are something that they consider rude?
    I was in France for a short amount of time, but I'll tell you one thing that I noticed about french people as soon as I stepped in that airport: They don't like to speak english!! So if you're planning to go to France, specially a place like Paris... you are better off learning some french beforehand! Things can get a bit uncomfortable if you don't! I tried to ask in english how i could find my gate... and the employees of the airline I usually fly with answered me back in french!!! That's just an example... if I were you I'd try and make the effort to learn french fast!

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13

    Re: How are people like in France

    I don't speak French much at all and personally found that the French reputation for rudeness or hostility was totally unfounded. In fact, and this was quite a surprise, Paris was one of the very friendliest cities I visit while backpacking around Europe. The were several occasions when my friend and I paused to look at a map and a local stopped to ask where we were going and sometimes walked with us to make sure we got there. Conversations were entirely pleasant along the way. Honestly, I have no idea where the bad reputation comes from.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231

    Re: How are people like in France

    Quote Originally Posted by Trellum View Post
    I was in France for a short amount of time, but I'll tell you one thing that I noticed about french people as soon as I stepped in that airport: They don't like to speak english!! So if you're planning to go to France, specially a place like Paris... you are better off learning some french beforehand! Things can get a bit uncomfortable if you don't! I tried to ask in english how i could find my gate... and the employees of the airline I usually fly with answered me back in french!!! That's just an example... if I were you I'd try and make the effort to learn french fast!
    Don't judge the whole country based on one person. In Paris you will not have difficulties with English, in other parts of France yes. (I'm an English speaker and I've lived in France for 5 years. )

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    86

    Re: How are people like in France

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    Don't judge the whole country based on one person. In Paris you will not have difficulties with English, in other parts of France yes. (I'm an English speaker and I've lived in France for 5 years. )
    They didn't - it was just one example of what they dealt with. Everyone's experience is different. You haven't had much difficulty, but others including myself have. There is a reason France has something of a poor reputation among travelers... and other European countries.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    38

    Re: How are people like in France

    The French are French, take them as you find them and remember you are in their country, not the other way round. But it sounds like you've never been from what you say: maybe I'm wrong, but if so how do you know you like the place? Just wondering.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    131

    Re: How are people like in France

    I'm glad you asked this question- I've wondered the same thing! I know there is the stereotype of being rude and unwelcoming/bordering on elitist but I've also heard that it's more just a bluntness and desire for respect from tourists, vs. a genuine unwelcoming.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    Don't judge the whole country based on one person. In Paris you will not have difficulties with English, in other parts of France yes. (I'm an English speaker and I've lived in France for 5 years. )
    I'm sorry to contradict you, but it ALL of the employes at the airport WERE extremely RUDE to me, one of them (a cleaning guy) even insulted me and verbally assaulted me. All because I said:''Excuse me....?'' I was going to ask where I could find some info about my gate. It was an awful experience to be honest.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Esperahol View Post
    They didn't - it was just one example of what they dealt with. Everyone's experience is different. You haven't had much difficulty, but others including myself have. There is a reason France has something of a poor reputation among travelers... and other European countries.
    Man, you have no idea what I dealt with over there! I was stuck at that aiport for a couple of hours... and during the first 30 minutes of my stay I got verbally assaulted by a black french speaking cleaning guy who worked there, all because I said: ''Excuse me...?'' I was going to ask him where I could find some info on the gates (first time in that airport). He insulted me, I tried to approach a nicer employer (a girl) and he shoo me away. The other employees at the airport weren't any better either... HORRIBLE experience.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Trellum View Post
    I'm sorry to contradict you, but it ALL of the employes at the airport WERE extremely RUDE to me, one of them (a cleaning guy) even insulted me and verbally assaulted me. All because I said:''Excuse me....?'' I was going to ask where I could find some info about my gate. It was an awful experience to be honest.
    I know that you had a horrible time at the airport. You said "I was stuck at that aiport for a couple of hours" however I've been living in here for over 5 years. I'm not saying you didn't get treated badly or that every french person is a fluffy teddy bear. I'm just saying that you can't judge 65 million people from a 2h stay at the airport.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    I know that you had a horrible time at the airport. You said "I was stuck at that aiport for a couple of hours" however I've been living in here for over 5 years. I'm not saying you didn't get treated badly or that every french person is a fluffy teddy bear. I'm just saying that you can't judge 65 million people from a 2h stay at the airport.
    I think that's really valid...even if you had stayed for a week or two and had some bad experiences, that doesn't mean there's nothing but bad experiences to be had. I know I've had some negative experiences traveling (and definitely in airports) within my own country and places that I love to visit...it would be disheartening to chalk it down to just that limited scope, though. It also sounds like your airport experience was exceptionally terrible and probably not the standard.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    75

    Re: How are people like in France

    I did not have enough time to say how really french are. For the limited time I been there, I can't say they are friendly, but I can say approachable and helpful. If you need help with directions, they are eager to help. I noticed that they are always in a hurry. In train station. most of the people are walking too fast or running. They are always on the go.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    152

    Re: How are people like in France

    I just landed at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport and am now waiting for my train to Bordeaux at Gare de Montparnasse as I am writing this very post.

    The people in Paris, like any major city are a mixed lot. I lost my suitcase and the friendly staff at the airport patiently helped me search for it. We eventually realized it was not in France and had been left stranded in Malaysia, where I had flown in from.

    I was approached by what I assumed to be a Gypsy girl this morning with a piece of paper asking to sign some kind of petition or to give donation to handicapped children. Smelling a ruse, I pretended not to be able to speak any French or English and just shook my head and walked away. There are more and more reports of snatch theft and all sorts of scams by Gypsy migrants from Romania and Bulgaria.

    I will be hopping on the train for Bordeaux this evening (two and a half hours' time) and there I assure you, things are a lot calmer and more relaxed. Like in all of France, the vast majority of people either do not speak any other language besides French or are very disinterested to speak foreign languages even if you asked for help! It does help to be fluent in French at least enough to communicate on a day-to-day basis.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231

    Re: How are people like in France

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWolfe View Post
    I was approached by what I assumed to be a Gypsy girl this morning with a piece of paper asking to sign some kind of petition or to give donation to handicapped children. Smelling a ruse, I pretended not to be able to speak any French or English and just shook my head and walked away. There are more and more reports of snatch theft and all sorts of scams by Gypsy migrants from Romania and Bulgaria.
    These are common in most parts of France but especially Paris. They run around the airport / train stations and it doesn't really matter what petition they ask you to sign, most often the point is just to distract you long enough to take your wallet. Basically they hunt for tourists since everyone who lives here knows this and doesn't even bother to take a second look at them.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    102

    Re: How are people like in France

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    These are common in most parts of France but especially Paris. They run around the airport / train stations and it doesn't really matter what petition they ask you to sign, most often the point is just to distract you long enough to take your wallet. Basically they hunt for tourists since everyone who lives here knows this and doesn't even bother to take a second look at them.
    They are everywhere, not just France. We found them in Athens last time we were there. You have to be very careful.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231

    Re: How are people like in France

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorigh View Post
    They are everywhere, not just France. We found them in Athens last time we were there. You have to be very careful.
    The key is just to ignore them. Don't even look at them, just pass them like they weren't there. I've never had any trouble even if I do see them all the time.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do you like the people in the UK
    By Hawaiilover in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-08-2017, 11:01 AM
  2. How are people like in China
    By Hawaiilover in forum China
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 01:57 PM
  3. French people don't like to speak enlgish
    By Trellum in forum France
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-16-2013, 04:27 AM
  4. How to the people celebrate Bastille Day in France?
    By blueeyedprincess in forum France
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 04:41 PM
  5. People Outside of the US
    By HuggsX3 in forum United States of America
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 06:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58