Welcome to the Travel Forum. Community Board To Help Tourists in Tourism.
  • Login:
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691

    Cycling in Amsterdam

    I've been told ccling is a great way to do some sightseeing while I'm in Amsterdam, but I'm really new to this. Can some (who has actually been there) recommend me some good places to do this? I'm looking for places that are not very crowded and where I can actually get to see more of this city. Any recommendations will be highly appreciated

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231
    I believe people are talking about cycling more as a means to go from place a to place b instead of it being the main activity of the day. If you want to try it then just stick to your daily plan but instead of taking a bus or walking, take a bike.

    However beware! There are like a million other people also cycling, it's unbelievable. So if you haven't sat on a bike in a while I'd recommend you try it somewhere else before causing chaos and destruction in the center of Amsterdam.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    I believe people are talking about cycling more as a means to go from place a to place b instead of it being the main activity of the day. If you want to try it then just stick to your daily plan but instead of taking a bus or walking, take a bike.

    However beware! There are like a million other people also cycling, it's unbelievable. So if you haven't sat on a bike in a while I'd recommend you try it somewhere else before causing chaos and destruction in the center of Amsterdam.

    Actually cycling can be considered a main attraction, specially if this is the first time you ever visit the Netherlands. This is my first time going there and I'm planning to go cycling; enjoy the fresh air and the beautiful sightings.

    I'm quite aware a lot people use ccling as a mean of transportation, I know very well because the family of my boyfriend lives there and the main reason I'm going on this trip is to meet them It's not as bad as you think, by the way. People over there have a lot norms and are very organized when it comes to cycling and transportation in general.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Trellum View Post
    It's not as bad as you think, by the way.
    haha yes it is. I felt like being in the middle of a zombie apocalypse but instead of zombies there were hoards of bicycles coming towards me. Bicycle apocalypse it is!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    haha yes it is. I felt like being in the middle of a zombie apocalypse but instead of zombies there were hoards of bicycles coming towards me. Bicycle apocalypse it is!
    It can be in some zones, but not everywhere in Amsterdam/The Netherlands. I guess we have some really different points of view on this particular subject I always tend to see the glass half full

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Trellum View Post
    It can be in some zones, but not everywhere in Amsterdam/The Netherlands. I guess we have some really different points of view on this particular subject I always tend to see the glass half full
    I can't speak for the rest of The Netherlands since I've only been in Amsterdam. Okay maybe it's not as bad as I described but it's one of the things I was really surprised about, I knew there would be a lot of people cycling but I was amazed by it since it was a lot more than I expected.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    I can't speak for the rest of The Netherlands since I've only been in Amsterdam. Okay maybe it's not as bad as I described but it's one of the things I was really surprised about, I knew there would be a lot of people cycling but I was amazed by it since it was a lot more than I expected.
    Yeah, it can be such a shocker, specially if it's your first time over there It's even worse if you come from a country like mine; over here people don't even use bikes, I see maybe one or 2 cyclists in a month, no kidding! It's weird that a lot people over there (Amsterdam) like to use bikes as a means of transportation, some of them even use it as their main mode of transportation I like cycling, but only as a hobby

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    231

    Re: Cycling in Amsterdam

    But it's a very effective means of transportation, especially in big cities. I used it all the time about 5 years ago. I only took the car when I had a lot of things to carry or a long distance (5km+) to travel. Now I'm a slave to the metro but if not then I'd probably buy a bike too.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691

    Re: Cycling in Amsterdam

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonghost747 View Post
    But it's a very effective means of transportation, especially in big cities. I used it all the time about 5 years ago. I only took the car when I had a lot of things to carry or a long distance (5km+) to travel. Now I'm a slave to the metro but if not then I'd probably buy a bike too.
    Yeah, I know Sadly people over here don't seem to like cycling at all. I bet they'd be able to get to places even faster, and I'd definetely prefer to get to work by bike rather than by bus! The buses over here are so full most of the time! I drive most of the time tho Sometimes I think of buying a motorcycle :P I heard it's a really effective means of transportation, specially with the kind of traffic we have over here!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Bakeries in Amsterdam - Indonesian cake
    By Trellum in forum Other European Countries
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2015, 11:45 AM
  2. Best indonesian restaurants in Amsterdam?
    By Trellum in forum Other European Countries
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 02:19 AM
  3. Places I should see when I travel to Amsterdam???
    By Trellum in forum Other European Countries
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 05:36 AM
  4. What are the five top cycling routes in UK?
    By blueeyedprincess in forum United Kingdom
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58