Welcome to the Travel Forum. Community Board To Help Tourists in Tourism.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691

    What's the first thing that comes into your mind when you miss a flight?

    I've traveled a lot in my life, I used to travel a lot more often some years ago. So I got to experience this first hand, I missed my connection flights a couple of times. I remember the first time this happened, I was just 18 years old, I was alone and scared! This was the first time I ever traveled by plane all alone! I missed my connection flight to Newark! Worst part? I had another connection flight to catch in Newark! The first thing that came into my mind was: ''Oh no!! I'm going to be stuck over here and I'm not going to make it!!''.

    An airline employee helped me a lot tho, she saw how nervious I was and how scared I was of missing my connection flight in Newark. They managed to put me on another flight I made it on time in the end
    Last edited by Trellum; 09-08-2013 at 12:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    53
    It really depends on if I have to be somewhere or not. I usually am less nervous on flights out than flights in because usually I am trying to get to work on time when flying back. I also am very nervous if I am going to miss a connection. I try to eliminate this risk by taking direct flights but that is not always possible.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    116
    If I've got connecting flights after that flight I freak the heck out because I've not got the kind of money to just buy new tickets.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    It really depends on if I have to be somewhere or not. I usually am less nervous on flights out than flights in because usually I am trying to get to work on time when flying back. I also am very nervous if I am going to miss a connection. I try to eliminate this risk by taking direct flights but that is not always possible.
    Yeah, for long trips taking a direct flight is not even a choice I'm going to fly to the Netherlands next year (hopely), so I'll have at least 2 flights to catch! I know I'm going to miss one of them... I know this very well, because the security check in Houston is awful! Super long lines! Man... the people working at customs are so rude!!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by alycat32 View Post
    If I've got connecting flights after that flight I freak the heck out because I've not got the kind of money to just buy new tickets.
    Wow, what kind of airline is that? I was flying with continental when I missed my flight for the first time, and they never charged me for putting me on the next flight. But now that you mention it, I'm really nervious! The airline I used to fly with (Continental) is no longer that... now is named ''United''. I hope they don't charge me extra if I miss a flight! That'd not be fair!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    86
    The only times I've ever missed a flight have been when traveling with someone so it tends to be something like:

    "Well... we missed it."
    "I said I'm sorry."
    "I hate you."
    "You could have just left."
    "..." "If I had known it was..."
    "..." "Sorry."
    "Without prints, teeth, or a whole skull identification is often difficult."
    "... You are so creepy."
    *Whistling*
    "...I hate you."
    "Welcome to my world."

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    83
    It hasn't happened yet, fortunately. I fly non-stop unless there is absolutely no way to do so, because managing connections with three kids in tow sounds like a bit of a nightmare to me, and since we live in between a major Delta hub and a smaller airport that handles a lot of vacation-destination flights we have non-stop or direct flight choices to most destinations.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    23
    Thankfully, it hasn't happened to me before. I've certainly cut it close a few times, and that's enough anxiety for me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    102
    Dangit, stuck in Atlanta AGAIN!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    25
    I think for me, it's more of a feeling than a thought. It's that horrible scared sinking feeling that starts in your stomach and almost seeps down into your feet, anyone else know what I'm talking about? Dread mixed with disappointment mixed with this unnerving question: "What am I going to do next?"

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    38
    Maybe most people's first thought is about who they can blame! My problem is the reverse however - I tend to turn up too early. Presented myself at the Aeroflot desk in Copenhagen once only to be told that my flight to Kabul was on the following day.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Esperahol View Post
    The only times I've ever missed a flight have been when traveling with someone so it tends to be something like:

    "Well... we missed it."
    "I said I'm sorry."
    "I hate you."
    "You could have just left."
    "..." "If I had known it was..."
    "..." "Sorry."
    "Without prints, teeth, or a whole skull identification is often difficult."
    "... You are so creepy."
    *Whistling*
    "...I hate you."
    "Welcome to my world."
    You're very funny :P Do things really get that way when you miss a flight with someone else? Just wondering how much of that was actually fiction and a joke :P I travel alone most of the times, I'll be doing the same on january next year (getting to the Netherlands), so I really wish I had someone to point fingers at if I miss my connection flight Sadly there will be no one but myself to point fingers at :P Oh well, maybe one day, lol.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Cammie27 View Post
    It hasn't happened yet, fortunately. I fly non-stop unless there is absolutely no way to do so, because managing connections with three kids in tow sounds like a bit of a nightmare to me, and since we live in between a major Delta hub and a smaller airport that handles a lot of vacation-destination flights we have non-stop or direct flight choices to most destinations.
    You're very lucky! But I'm guessing this is the same for someone who is traveling to Europe, isn't it? I found a great flight itinerary for my nest trip... I'll be able to get to the Netherlands directly from Houston Which really rocks, because I'll just have to worry about getting to the airport on time It such a relief... I used to have to catch a connection flight in Newark! I always missed my flight to Newark tho... Mostly because the security checks. I can't imagine what it'd be like if I had children traveling with me!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia02 View Post
    Thankfully, it hasn't happened to me before. I've certainly cut it close a few times, and that's enough anxiety for me.
    Lucky you, the first time this happened to me I was totally terrified! I wasn't only scared because I thought I'd be stuck there for a long time, but also because i had people waiting for me at the airport! So I was feeling really anxious and nervious, I was overreacting tho... there are far worse things in life. I learnt that the hard way.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
    I think for me, it's more of a feeling than a thought. It's that horrible scared sinking feeling that starts in your stomach and almost seeps down into your feet, anyone else know what I'm talking about? Dread mixed with disappointment mixed with this unnerving question: "What am I going to do next?"
    I know what you are feeling, the first time this happened to me I was totally terrified, until they told me they'd not charge me a thing to put me on the next flight! I think most airlines don't charge you for that, I could be wrong tho. Because I always traveled with Continental, but this airline merged and is now known as United. We'll see how it goes, I'm going to buy my ticket hopely next week!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    Maybe most people's first thought is about who they can blame! My problem is the reverse however - I tend to turn up too early. Presented myself at the Aeroflot desk in Copenhagen once only to be told that my flight to Kabul was on the following day.
    Ow... that really sucks! I'm always very punctual, but sometimes missing a flight is almost impossible to avoid. Specially if you have connection flights to catch in USA, that has happened to me a lot... the second time I missed my flight was because the flight I was expecting was delayed, so that ruined my itinerary. I had other two connection flights to catch, so... I was stuck in several airports for hours. I think getting to Oslo took me 2 days! All because a delayed flight.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    116
    Your right, I think they only charge you for a new ticket if it was your fault you missed it, and not because a flight was cancelled by them. I'm not even sure they charge you even then but I get nervous haha

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    131
    The only time I've ever been in that situation, my husband quickly got it taken care of...I got really scared and nervous and just kind of froze in thinking for a minute, lol. Luckily he's much more handy in that way..

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Trellum View Post
    I know what you are feeling, the first time this happened to me I was totally terrified, until they told me they'd not charge me a thing to put me on the next flight! I think most airlines don't charge you for that, I could be wrong tho. Because I always traveled with Continental, but this airline merged and is now known as United. We'll see how it goes, I'm going to buy my ticket hopely next week!
    Glad I'm not the only one :P Good luck with your flight!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by alycat32 View Post
    Your right, I think they only charge you for a new ticket if it was your fault you missed it, and not because a flight was cancelled by them. I'm not even sure they charge you even then but I get nervous haha
    Yeah, that would be totally unfair, but you never know! Sometimes missing a flight can be hard to avoid. I always end up missing one or two (very long trips) what harms me the most are the long lines at security check.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by JessiFox View Post
    The only time I've ever been in that situation, my husband quickly got it taken care of...I got really scared and nervous and just kind of froze in thinking for a minute, lol. Luckily he's much more handy in that way..
    Lucky you! It's always good to have someone around while you're traveling, specially during long trips, like transatlantic ones! I know exactly what to do in a situation like this, but my favorite airline merged with another one, so I don't really know if they still have the same policies.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one :P Good luck with your flight!
    Thanks!! Traveling to Europe (loooong trips- ugh) always makes me feel really stressed, but at the same time very excited Specially because I'll be seeing someone special over there. So the long trip is really worth it. I'm going to have a blast over there!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    102
    Traveling with children is very...interesting. I dragged my three year old through Charles De Gaulle on our way to Greece.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    75

    Re: What's the first thing that comes into your mind when you miss a flight?

    It happened to me before, I missed my connecting flight because our plane arrived really late. The first thing that came to my mind is my aunt who will pick me up in the airport. I need to call her or else she will wait in the airport, worst thing she might panic because I did not show up.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    22

    Re: What's the first thing that comes into your mind when you miss a flight?

    well the first thing that comes to mind is " how could I have missed the time " . This happened to me once , lucky for me the flight was delayed .

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 06:23 AM
  2. In-Flight WiFi
    By Alfonso in forum Travel Industry News
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-19-2015, 09:49 AM
  3. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-18-2013, 04:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58